Curtin Village is a historical site owned and operated by the Pennsylvania Historical and Musuems Commission. To rent Curtin Village, please call (814) 355-1982.
Trough running to Blasthouse and Charging House
in the rear of photo.
One of the older and more well preserved historic sites in Boggs Township is Curtin Village and the Eagle Iron Works. Roland Curtin, father of Andrew Gregg Curtin, Governor of Pennsylvania during the Civil War, purchased 11,000 acres of land and with Moses Boggs erected the Eagle Iron Works in 1810. Their first iron was packed on horses and sent to Pittsburgh.
The Eagle Iron Works was an iron producing center from 1810 until 1921. By the mid 1800's, the self-sufficient iron "plantation" consisted of over 60 structures including the Ironmaster's Mansion, a charcoal-fired iron furnace, rolling mill, a forge, and a worker's village.
The Ironmaster's Mansion was constructed in the Federal-style in 1830 by Roland Curtin.The Mansion possesses fifteen rooms, ten of which have been furnished with antiques and are open to the public. There are ten operable fireplaces in the Mansion, which retains its original woodwork, flooring and hardware. The Mansion walls are two (2) feet thick and are constructed of native field stone. The Mansion was occupied continuously by the Curtin family from 1830 until the early 1950's.
The Pleasant Furnace was erected in 1848 to replace the original Eagle Furnace which was built in 1818. The furnace as destroyed by fire in 1921 and is believed to have been the last cold blast charcoal furnace to operate in the United States. The restored furnace complex includes a charging house, a blast house with overshot waterwheel, a flume, casting rooms and a tapping shed. During its heyday, about 600 tons a year of pig iron and cast-sheet and bar iron were produced.
The Worker's Village is the focus of the most recent restoration efforts, and boasts a furnace worker's log cabin which has been restored to its original appearance circa 1825. Most employees of the Eagle Iron Works were given similar company housing during their employment at the iron works. In its heyday, the village contained over a dozen similar structures arranged around the communal "village green".
Now, on apporximately 60 acres of land, Curtin Village and the restored Eagle Iron Works are owned by the State and administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. The Curtin Village historical site is supported by admissions, special events, patrons and the work and contributions of volunteers and members of the non-profit Roland Curtin Foundation.
Curtin Village opens on Memorial Day. Guided tours are available Wednesday to Sunday. Special events are planned at the Village beginning in Mid-June with the Arts Festival. Mid-July begins the Antique Car Show, Mid-September brings the Civil War Encampment and Mid-October offers Apple Butter Day. The special events close out in Mid-December with Christmas at Curtin. The Bellefonte Historical Railroad offers train excursions to Curtin Village making a most enjoyable summertime family outing.
Curtin Village is located approximately three (3) miles north of Exit 158 off I-80. Visitors to the Village are encouraged to call (814) 355-1982 to confirm schedules and to obtain further information.